What is the REAL Cost of Snus and Nicotine Pouches? (2023)
Brits have been feeling the pressure lately - with increasing costs and rising inflation rates. Smokers will be feeling it even greater, with cigarette prices have seen a large jump in recent years, with cigarettes becoming even more expensive from 1st March 2023 as prices will be going up by as much as £2 per pack.
It has become more important than ever to be aware of where your money is going. To help you determine your nicotine cost options, we have listed and compared the average prices of the three most popular nicotine products in the UK: cigarettes, vapes and nicotine pouches. Read on to find out how you can help your wallet (and health) in the midst of rising nicotine prices.
Cost of Cigarettes
AVERAGE COST PER YEAR: £3,700-£4,650
The prices of cigarettes in UK is the second highest of all the European countries, and the prices continue to keep rising - meaning it costs thousands of pounds per year if you smoke 20 cigarettes a day (the UK average).
Smoking is an expensive habit to keep up with: you not only have to factor in cigarettes, but the cost of other connected expenses, such as lighters and breath mints.
That is not all, research by ASH found that the NHS spends an additional £2.4bn and a further £1.2bn in social care costs because of smoking-related health issues.
Cost of Nicotine Pouches
The cost of nicotine pouches depends on the pouches you pick and how often you use them. For a can of Nordic Spirit nicotine pouches (which we used in our calculations), it is around £3.49 and you get 20 pouches - this makes it around 17p per pouch. This makes nicotine pouches a great smoke-free nicotine option as well as relatively inexpensive for nicotine users.
Cost of Vapes
AVERAGE COST PER YEAR: £1,460
The cost of vaping can vary, but as an average most vapers spend around £120 per month. While vaping seems like a cheap option, adding up the cost of different mods, brands, devices and more means you are probably spending more than you realise. Plus, you have to pay for all the initial setup!
Making the Choice to Switch
Switching to smoke-free nicotine pouches comes with a lot of benefits, and making the decision to switch has so many factors, not just cost. Some of the main benefits to nicotine pouches are:
- 1. They are completely smoke-free. They are portable and allow you to enjoy nicotine without having to walk outside, saving you time and preventing the spread of secondhand smoke's harmful effects to people around you.
- 2. Pouches are discreet. If you don't want people to know you're using a nicotine pouch, they don't have to. The pouches are spit-free and sit between your upper lip and gum, practically invisible to people around you.
- 3. Nicotine pouches don’t stain or have an unpleasant odour. Nicotine pouches don't stain or have an unpleasant tobacco smell, unlike smoking or other tobacco products. As nicotine pouches are all white, they are nicotine-only products (meaning they have no tobacco, the element that is known to cause yellow staining).
- 4. There are lots of different types of nicotine pouches available. There is a large selection of flavours and nicotine strengths to choose from, so you can tailor your nicotine experience to your taste. Pick from a variety of popular flavours, like mint, berry, and citrus and choose nicotine strengths ranging from 0mg to 20mg.
- 5. They are convenient to use. In general, nicotine pouches are less expensive than tobacco products (especially if you buy your nicotine pouches online).