Our submission to the EU's Call for Evidence – we believe the EU should adopt a risk reduction perspective
Risk reduction is essential for achieving a tobacco-free generation. Globally, 8 million people die prematurely each year due to smoking. But it does not have to be that way; there are safer nicotine alternatives to cigarettes – nicotine pouches being one of them. Non-combustible nicotine products have impacted people's smoking habits; many consumers of nicotine pouches have smoked in the past.
EU's Tobacco Product Directive does not regulate nicotine pouches. Therefore, we have taken the initiative to develop product standards and test all nicotine pouches we sell. The results are shared through the site NicoLeaks.com. The EU should take inspiration from our standards when drafting future legislation regarding product-specific regulations for nicotine pouches.
In addition, our submission asks, among other things, for the following aspects to be considered:
- Nicotine pouches should be regulated, not prohibited
- Cross-border distance sales should be possible
- A clear distinction must be made between e-commerce and social media
- A uniform application of age-verification requirements must be ensured
- Product-specific regulation must allow for incentives for consumers to switch to less harmful products
Read our full response to the European Commission, submitted by our parent company Haypp Group, here.