Swedish Snus Brands: Full List (2023)
Full List of Swedish Snus Brands
There are over 22 different brands of Swedish snus, but some of the oldest and most popular are:
- - Ettan
- - General
- - Göteborgs Rape
- - Lundgrens
- - Grov
- - XR
The Best Swedish Snus: Top 4
With so many Swedish snus brands, it can be hard to know where to start. Based on data from Snusbolaget, the top 4 Swedish snus brands are:
- 1. Ettan. This snus has been produced for hundreds of years and remains the most popular snus in Sweden. These snus pouches account for around 1/5 of the snus sales in Sweden - a firm favourite among Swedes.
- 2. General. General snus was founded in 1840 and is made from a signature mix of over 20 types of tobacco infused with bergamot oil for the distinctive snus flavour.
- 3. Göteborgs Rape. Produced since 1919, Göteborgs Rape is infused with fresh herbs and juniper berries: the tobacco flavour is mild, and these pouches are a little sweeter than other Swedish snus brands.
- 4. Lundgrens. Lundgrens snus is produced by Fiedler and Lundgren, one of the original snus makers in Sweden. While they produce unique snus concepts, their snus is crafter using traditional methods.
Types of Swedish Snus
Swedish snus comes in two varieties: loose or portioned.
Loose. This type of snus is a moist powder that you form into your own portions using your fingers. It is quite a messy way to snus, and can result in dripping - but is a classic way to snus.
Portioned. The type of snus you are probably more familiar with - the tobacco powder has been preportioned into small sachets. While they usually come in smaller quantities compared to loose snus, this is a less messy way to get your tobacco.
Swedish Snus StrengthsThere are less variations in snus strengths compared to other oral nicotine products such as nicotine pouches. Most snus brands usually offer a normal and strong option: but these can vary slightly in strength from brand to brand: for example, normal General snus has a nicotine strength of 8.5mg per pouch but original Kapten snus contains around 8mg per portion.
Swedish Snus vs. Nicotine Pouches
While there are many similarities between nicotine pouches and Swedish snus, there are many important differences between Swedish snus and nicotine pouches.
- - Tobacco vs. Tobacco-Free. Snus contains tobacco whereas nicotine pouches contain no tobacco. The nicotine in nicotine pouches is usually either extracted from the tobacco leaf or made synthetically, meaning they are “all-white” or free from tobacco.
- - Flavour. Swedish snus has a traditional flavour profile in comparison to nicotine pouches. Nicotine pouches usually have added flavours and come in a lot more different varieties in comparison to snus. Swedish snus flavour primarily comes from the tobacco, with added essential oils to help enhance the flavour (such as bergamot or juniper) - giving a richer flavour experience (if you like tobacco flavour).
- - How Long a Pouch Lasts. Swedish snus usually releases nicotine in a more consistent way compared to nicotine pouches which are more varied.
- - Legal vs Illegal in the UK. Classic tobacco snus is illegal in the UK, however you can use and buy snus in the UK if it is tobacco free and to buy and you are over 18 years old.